2009年6月3日 星期三

Session 1 question

Think of a business or organization that you admire, then describe two examples of how that business is supported by information systems. For example, do they use it for operational excellence ? Or do they use it to create new products and services ?

Example one: DHL

DHL offer an online tracking system on their website. It state clear where the parcel or document is in now. Before this function provided on internet, people need to call to their customer service centre to trace the parcel or document. The efficiency really depend on the manpower of DHL. We may need to wait for a long time to know the answer if DHL lines are busy. But now, we can trace the parcel or document on our own on DHL website anytime by just typing the tracking number in the website.



Example two: Amazon.com

I like to purchase books on Amazon.com as it is a very easy channel and user friendly. I can order those books which are not easily found in Hong Kong books shop. The website also allow me to take a look inside the first few pages of the book. I could get a better understanding for the books which make me do a better decision to determine if the books is really what I need.It makes me feel like I am really shopping in the bookshop. And after picking the books I need, the system will compute the delivery charge automaticlly after I put in the country where I want to delievr. I just input my information like name, address, contact, payment.....They will arrange the delievry to me very efficiently. So it is a very easy and efficient way for people to get the books from overseas.

1 則留言:

  1. Yes, online shopping and online parcel tracking are good examples of how information systems can help firms operate more excellently. With Amazon.com, they are even using information systems to create new products and services, too, such as the Kindle e-book reader and the Amazon Simple Storage Service (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/).

    回覆刪除